Greetings and salutations people! Well, it may still be February, but it looks very spring-like in my part of the world. The almond trees are blooming, the daffodils are popping up out of the ground as they reach for the sky, and the farmers market is loaded with fresh spring greens. Rocket, or arugula, is one of my very favorite greens. Arugula is peppery, and flavorful, and fresh. This week, I adapted a salad from a favorite restaurant my sister and I frequent. Rocket Salad with Warm Fingerlings, Green beans, and Pickled onions.
For this salad, I topped some arugula with some warm fingerling potatoes that I smothered in a simple creamy mustard dressing. I steamed some fresh green beans, and topped everything with some quick pickled red onions.
This salad combines fresh, peppery, creamy, tangy, and crunchy, all in in one.
I dont know about you guys, but I just adore bite sized potatoes. I adore potatoes in general, but little fingerling potatoes that you can cook whole and eat in one bit are so, so, yum!
I Boiled my fingerling until fork tender, but they are also fantastic roasted in the oven.
I sauced these little bites of love with a simple dressing that combines good brown mustard, vegan mayo, and a few spices.
I have already told you my love of Sierra Nevada Mustard and it is a love that will never die. Try it!
The quick pickled red onions are super easy to make, and add a great addition to this, and any salad. This recipe calls for 1 whole onion, which will be more that enough for this salad and any more throughout the week. You can also eat right out of the jar, which I admit I do!
The pickled onions get better as they sit in the vinegar. It is best to let them brine for at least 24 hours but you don’t have to. You can eat them right away if you like.
Make it, eat it, enjoy!
- 4 Cups Arugula Greens
- About 2 Cups Fingerling or baby potatoes
- About ½ Pound or 2 handfuls fresh green beans
- 1 Tbs Vegan Mayo
- 1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp All seasoning Mix (optional, I like Trader Joes 21 Seasoning Solute)
- Pickled Red Onions (Recipe Below)
- Optional: Your favorite nut to top. I used walnuts today, but hazelnuts are also great!
- Steam, boil, or bake potatoes until tender.
- Steam green beans until tender. Place in a bowl of cold water to cool down, and stop cooking process. You want them to be tender, but still have some bite to them.
- Combine mustard, mayo, sugar, garlic, and seasoning, and stir until combined.
- Gently toss potatoes in sauce.
- Place arugula in the bottom of serving bowl.
- Top with green beans, potatoes, and pickled onions.
- Top with nuts!
- I Medium to Large Red Onion.
- I Cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbs Sugar
- Peel onion and slice into thin rounds.
- Place in a jar that just fits the onion.
- Combine vinegar and sugar and whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Pour vinegar over onions. If the the onions are not completely covered, add equal parts vinegar until they are. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours for best flavor.
Rocket Salad with Warm Fingerling Potatoes, Green Beans, and Pickled Onion