One of my favorite food combinations is sweet paired with spicy. The contrasting flavors somehow compliment each other to make a mouth watering yin and yang.
Today is national watermelon day, so I decided to share a spicy melon salad that is super quick and easy, nice and healthy, and has a flavor that is more unique than your typical BBQ fruit salad. This sweet and savory fruit salad is a great addition to the summer table.
This recipe has 8 ingredients and only takes a few minutes to put together.
Watermelon and cantaloupe give you that cold, fresh, sweetness that shines in the summer sun.
Fresh jalapeno, chili pepper, and lime juice, give a spicy and tangy kick.
Sliced cucumber add a little crunch, and my BFF avocado adds the perfect amount of creaminess.
All together, you have a salad that is so fresh, so flavorful, so summer.
Sometimes I like to add a little sprinkle of salt on top of the salad to make a spicy, sweet, salty combo. Sometimes I leave it off. Just depends on my mood. I included salt as optional. Try it both ways to see which you like best!
I hope you like this recipe and I hope that you are enjoying a happy, healthy day!
If you make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram #dorasdailydish!
Make it, eat it, enjoy!
- 3 Cups Cubed Watermelon
- 2 Cups Cubed Cantaloupe
- 1 Avocado Diced
- ½ Large Cucumber, Sliced Thin
- 1 Jalapeno Sliced Thin
- 3 Tbs Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tbs Dried Chili Pepper Flakes
- Juice and Zest of 1 Lime
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Grind the chili pepper flakes a little, using a mortar and pestle or a rolling pin. This helps bring out the flavor. No need to grind a lot, just enough to give the flakes a little life.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and gently stir together.
- Chill for at least an hour for the best flavor.