It is almost October, which means fall is coming soon here in the northern hemisphere. Even though it is still in the 90’s here in northern Cali, the nights are cooling and every so often I can feel the hint of a breeze searching for some autumn leaves.
While I love fall, there are some things I am sad to let go for the year including an abundance of my favorite green foods from the farmers market including zucchini, basil, and kale.
To honor the fresh flavors of these lovely summer greens, I have a little spin on traditional lasagna with a Pesto Lasagna recipe. I also like to call it the “eat your greens” lasagna. Full of summer flavors, it is a great way to appreciate summer.
This Lasagna combines whole wheat pasta, fresh veggies, and creamy cashew ricotta.
This recipe is completely plant based, so it is vegetarian and dairy free.
I used a square 8×8 baking dish to make a four layer super thick lasagna. You can also make a larger lasagna, say a 9×13 inch with less layers. Use what you have, either way will be delicious!
I hope you love this recipe!
Make it, eat it, enjoy!
- I box of your favorite Lasagna Noodles
- 1 Small Bunch Kale (about 4 Cups chopped)
- 2 Medium Zucchini
- ¼ Cup Canned Diced Tomatoes
- About 1 Cup Fresh Pesto (Recipe below)
- About 2 Cups Cashew Ricotta (Recipe below)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add lasagna noodles and cook until al dente. Once cooked, place lasagna noodles in a bowl of cool water until ready to use. This will make them easier to handle.
- Chop kale into bite sized pieces.
- Combine kale and cashew ricotta in a bowl.
- Slice zucchini into long thin strips or circles. Either way will work.
- Using a grill pan or large saute pan, cook zucchini until just tender. About 2 minutes on each side. Add a little water or oil to the pan if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Take a baking dish, and layer noodles, pesto, cashew ricotta, zucchini. I used a square 8X8 baking dish to get 4 layers of noodles, so my lasagna looked like this: Layer of noodles, ¼ of the pesto, ¼ of the cashew ricotta, ⅓ of the zucchini. I topped the fourth layer of noodles with pesto and ricotta.
- Top lasagna with the diced tomatoes.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- 1½ Cups Raw Cashews
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbs Non Dairy Milk
- 2 tsp Salt
- Soak cashews in a bowl of water for at least four hours.
- Drain cashews and place in a food processor.
- Add vinegar, non dairy milk, and salt and process until creamy but still slightly chunky.
- 3 Cups Fresh Basil Packed
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Tbs Pine Nuts (Sub walnuts or cashews if you like)
- 2 tsp Salt
- Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.
Check out these other recipes that use cashew ricotta!