If you haven’t tried any rosemary flavored sweets, you really should. When I first heard of rosemary in desserts, I thought it sounded a bit odd as I had never used rosemary for any desserts before, but as soon as I had my first chocolate chip rosemary cookie, I was hooked! Rosemary is so good in sweet treats! This week I decided to pair rosemary with lemon in this Vegan Rosemary Lemon Cake.
This cake starts with layers of fluffy white cake with a hint of vanilla.
The layers of cake are embraced by a creamy lemon curd with pairs so well with a rosemary buttercream frosting.
The rosemary gives a unique fragrant flavor that is perfect for fall and winter.
This cake would be perfect for a special occasion or holiday dinner.
As always, this recipe is free of all animal products.
So, so good. Trust me.
I love this cake and I hope you do to!
The rosemary buttercream is made by seeping rosemary and vegan butter together for at least 1 hour, preferably 2 hours.
I made three, 4 inch round cakes with this recipe for small cakes that would serve two to three people. You can make two, 9 inch round layers for a large cake that would serve 6 to 8 people. You could also make one 9 inch round cake that is taller, and cut the cake into 2 layers. Baking time will differ depending on what size baking pans you use.
Make it, eat it, enjoy!
- 1½ Cups Flour
- 2 Tbs Cornstarch
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Non Dairy Milk
- ⅓ Cup Melted Coconut Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup Lemon Juice
- Zest of about 3 Lemons or about 2 Tbs
- ½ Cup Water
- 1½ Cups Sugar
- 4 Tbs Cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 Tbs Earth Balance or other non-dairy Butter
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter or Margarine
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 3 Cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Tbs Non Dairy Milk
- For the cake, sift all dry ingredients together.
- Mix all wet ingredients together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth with no lumps.
- Pour into parchment lined baking pans and bake 20 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. The time will depend on what size pan you use.
- Set aside to cool.
- For lemon curd, place all ingredients for lemon curd into a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- When mix comes to a boil, turn down to a simmer. Keep stirring so it doesn't burn. Curd should thicken quickly.
- Once curd is thick like extra thick pudding, remove from heat, stir in butter, and refrigerate until cool.
- For buttercream frosting, place vegan butter and rosemary in a small pot and bring to a boil on the stove. Turn off heat and let seep for at least 1 hour, preferably 2 hours.
- Remove rosemary and place butter in fridge to solidify.
- When butter is solid, place in a stand mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Add confectioners sugar, a cup at a time, and beat until combined.
- Add tbs of non dairy milk and beat until creamy and smooth.
- To assemble cake: If using one cake, slice cake into 2 layers.
- Place one layer on a cake plate or stand and spread ½ inch of lemon curd onto cake.
- Press next layer onto cake. Continue adding layers and lemon curd if you are doing multiple layers.
- Frost top and sides of cake with rosemary buttercream.
- Slice and enjoy!